Monday, December 9, 2013

The Broken by Ker Dukey

Posted by miss fifi at Monday, December 09, 2013
description

2.7 Too-Lust-Filled Stars. description

Lets start with the cover. It's pretty, I like it. description

description

Now, lets talk about the blurb. Not bad. description
When River’s already broken life shattered further on her sixteenth birthday, she was forced to be with the wrong best friend of her brothers. She was meant for Sammy but circumstance and black mail forced her into a relationship with Danny, a troubled, abusive partner. Leaving the only boy she ever loved to flee. Now four years later he has returned. When her feelings and missing parts of herself that left with him return also, loyalty, restraint and love will be tested. Can she find a way to leave the threatening clutches of Danny, to finally be saved by her childhood love? Or will Danny’s hold on her tighten when more life shattering events consume their already troubled lives?

When Sammy returns home, after four years of being away from the girl that broke his heart, he’s not prepared for all his old feelings to force their way straight back into his heart. Questions that were left unasked when he left begin to plague him, when the sudden relationship between River and Danny all those years ago seems all the more confusing now. Secrets, mistrust and Danny’s possessive behaviour sends up red flags and Sammy begins doubting himself for leaving in the first place. When the spark between Sammy and river finally ignites it will leave explosive consequences for everyone


Since I'm in the mood for simple, I have picked three quotes to summarise the book description:

description
Even after all these years, Sammy still owns my heart.


description
She was it for me; my soul mate, I lived not on air, food or water, I lived on her. I breathed her, I drank her in and consumed her with every look.


description
I belong to Danny, and I’ll never belong to me or Sammy again.


description
Shit has darkened River, but my girl is still in there.


Okay, that's FOUR quotes, but who's counting right? description

Lastly, lets discuss about my cliche final opinion of the book: I liked it, but I didn't love it description


As usual, the reason is simple: The ridiculous characters. description

There's three things that bugged the hell out of me description regarding the characters:

description COMMUNICATION

- by communication, I mean the exchange AND the lack of exchange of words between the characters. The characters TALKED a LOT but they didn't COMMUNICATE at ALL! description First of all, there's River and Blaydon (River's brother). After the incident four years ago, they still lived and work together but they NEVER truly discussed what really happened. Blaydon seemed to communicate more with his drug than with his sister. And guess what? He freaking dared to claim to love her! description I was like, "Are you f*cking kidding me?!". She took care of him instead of him taking care of her and didn't even bother checking on her well being with Danny! Is that what people call love nowadays? description Next, there's the communication between River (yeah, HER again) and Sammy. She gave herself to Danny and Sammy left because of that. Four years later, Sammy returned. River was still dating Danny. But guess what? Instead of being NORMAL, asking each other as to what really F*CKING happened four years ago when they had the chance to, they did these: They got pissed off with each other (yelling and stuff), spent some time together, got pissed off again, and then have crazy sex again and again and the cycle went on and on. They didn't DISCUSS what happened like NORMAL PEOPLE!!! description Seriously, I was like "Are you guys for real?!" description

description MORAL

- by moral, I mean the freaking standard of good behavior. This is what the characters LACKED, a LOT. First of all, there was River and Sammy. Sammy came back when Danny and River were STILL together. By together, I mean, AN EXCLUSIVE RELATIONSHIP. However, they both F*CKING FORGOT about it when Danny was away for a few days and HAD SEX REPEATEDLY description without feeling FUCKING GUILTY at all. I mean seriously? description Since Danny was an abusive bastard, (yep, double meaning there..), I excused her behavior. But Sammy??? Danny was his f*cking friend and he f*cked his gf when he was away? description WTF?! And no, he DIDN'T even feel GUILTY over it. And no, Danny being abusive couldn't be used as an excuse for him to do it because HE DIDN'T even know that he was abusive at the moment, all he knew was that HE was HORNY! SERIOUSLY, WTH dude?description They were like, "no question asked, lets f*ck to death". description


description BLINDNESS 

- By blindness, I mean the disability to see crystal clear the shit thrown in the characters' faces. Firstly, there was Blaydon..His sistr lived in the same house as he did for four fucking years, suffering from an abusive relationship and HE DIDN'T F*CKING notice it??? description Are you kidding me?! Next, there was River. She kept saying that he owed Danny, that's why she f*cking accepted Danny's abuse. SERIOUSLY? When someone scared you to death, you freaking GO to the police. Stop f*cking insulting the police force by acting strong refusing to seek help! They weren't there just for display, you know! description


And the ending...it reminded me of one of Chucky's (the psycho doll) movies I don't remember which one, but probably the second movie. The scene where their kid burned something. Just sayin. (ITS HORRIFYING LIKE A HORROR MOVIE!) description

description

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spoiling the Fun Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review