Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly Oram

Posted by miss fifi at Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summary

When Avery Shaw’s heart is shattered by her life-long best friend, she chooses to deal with it the only way she knows how—scientifically. 

The state science fair is coming up and Avery decides to use her broken heart as the topic of her experiment. She’s going to find the cure. By forcing herself to experience the seven stages of grief through a series of social tests, she believes she will be able to get over Aiden Kennedy and make herself ready to love again. But she can’t do this experiment alone, and her partner (ex partner!) is the one who broke her heart.

Avery finds the solution to her troubles in the form of Aiden’s older brother Grayson. The gorgeous womanizer is about to be kicked off the school basketball team for failing physics. He’s in need of a good tutor and some serious extra credit. But when Avery recruits the lovable Grayson to be her “objective outside observer,” she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for, because Grayson has a theory of his own: Avery doesn’t need to grieve. She needs to live. And if there’s one thing Grayson Kennedy is good at, it’s living life to the fullest.


My Review

As you can collect from the blurb, the story started with Aiden breaking Avery's heart. She had had a feeling for him since forever but he didn't feel the same way about her so he kinda requested a space.

"...I will fall apart without you!”
Aiden sighed and took my hand in his. “Aves,” he said slowly. “That’s also sort of why I said yes to Mindy. I think I need a little space for awhile.”
For just a brief moment, time stopped . . . like a heart that skipped a beat. When it started back up, my life had been forever altered.
“Space? What do you mean?” I knew what he meant. I was just praying I was wrong because, otherwise, he’d just ripped my heart in two and I couldn’t deal. [Avery's POV]

And my first opinion of Aiden is that he was an idiot.

“You okay?” Aiden asked.
The answer was a definite no, but I nodded anyway. “Of course. Yeah, sure, I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be? It’s just a science project. Like you said, I’ll manage. As for the other stuff, I get it, and that’s cool. If that’s what you want. I suppose it could be fun to change things up a bit.”
Lie! Complete and utter lie!
The lie was so big it hurt me all the way to my soul, but what hurt even worse was that Aiden believed it. [Avery's POV]

And Avery was close to Aiden's family, including his brother, Grayson.

But thanks to one panic attack, Avery kinda grew closer to the funny Grayson.

I was so out of it that I’d slipped into the bathroom while Grayson was in the shower, and I didn’t even notice until he poked his head out from behind the curtain with a surprised look on his face. “Aves, babe, I’m a little busy here.” He cocked an eyebrow and gave me a crooked smile. “Unless you’re planning to join me . . . ?”
Just then there was a loud knock on the door, and my mother’s worried voice called out to me. I looked up at Grayson and in a moment of sheer panic didn’t think twice before jumping behind the curtain with him.
“Whoa! Avery! I was only teasing!” [Avery's POV]

Now, let me explain the Avery Shaw Experiment to you guys.

"In this experiment, I will prove my theory by taking you through the seven stages of grief as applied to my own severely-damaged heart. I hypothesize that once I have experienced all seven of these steps, I will have cured my heart of all cracks and tears and will be otherwise ready to fall in love again." - Avery

"Avery’s experiment is a load of crap." "I am going to fix her with an experiment of my own."- Grayson

Grayson and Avery were pretty cute together.

She took me up on my offer. Slowly, she slipped her arm around my waist and then clung to me like she was super glued there. I tensed beneath her touch and had to fight back shivers.
“Feel free to hang on to other parts of me too.” My voice came out thick because it had been stuck in my throat. “My butt’s feeling pretty left out, and I don’t spend so much time working out my abs and chest just to never get felt up.”
I laughed when Avery gasped and turned as red as the dress she had on. [Grayson's POV]

And there was also a pool game..

By the time she sunk the last ball, leaving only the eight left to sink for her win, even Owen was cheering her on. She stepped around the side of the table next to where I was standing. I bent down and kissed her cheek. “For luck.”
She blushed and gave me a shy smile, then leaned over to line up her cue. It looked like a clear, easy shot. Just as she called it and pulled back her cue, I maybe, sort of, accidently-on-purpose let my hand slide down her back and over the curve of her butt. At my gentle squeeze, Avery let out a shriek and botched the shot so bad the cue ball jumped the table.
The entire room gasped, and then there was a mixture of laughs and angry shouts.
Avery stood there, face brighter red than I’d ever seen it, gaping at me in utter disbelief. “I just lost,” she finally said. “You just made me lose.”
“I know,” I admitted, trying to look more repentant than I felt.
“By grabbing my butt!” [Grayson's POV]

Oh, did I say that they were very cute together? Well, they did. Because Grayson was such a hot clown!


I flipped back through all of her entries and found every step of this project mapped out in detailed outlines.
“What is this?” I complained when she came back and handed me a Sprite. My voice conveyed all the confusion, disappointment, and horror I felt.
“My journal?” she asked, confused.
“This is not a journal. This is . . . it’s a freaking textbook. Where’s all the good stuff?”
“What do you mean?”
“You know, all the girly stuff.” I kicked my voice into my best falsetto. “OMG I got my first kiss tonight! It was AH-MAZING! Grayson Kennedy is so hot!” Bringing my voice back to normal, I flipped the open book so she could see it. “There’s not one single exclamation point, smiley face, or heart scribbled in this thing.”
...
“It’s not a diary, Grayson!” She had to wipe tears from her eyes. “It’s a scientific study!” [Grayson's POV]

However, I kinda hated Avery at some point.

"As adorable as I thought the girl was, her wallowing in self-pity was not attractive. Nor was it any fun to be around." - Grayson

As an overall, I think the book was pretty cute and fun. Well, to be honest it was fun because of Grayson lol

p/s: the book was written from both Avery and Grayson's POVs. The prologues and epilogues are pretty cool.

"If Avery gets one of these nifty prologue thingies to explain herself, then so do I. She’s not the only one with a story to tell here!" - Grayson.


My Rating

4 Sweet Cupcakes



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spoiling the Fun Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review